At Gifford House we know how much you our customers appreciate the beautiful surrounding countryside and wildlife. We therefore attempt to run our business in an environmentally friendly manner.
We are committed to conserving our natural resources, so we ask our guests A towel on the rail means “I will use it again” A towel in the bath means “Please exchange.”
• We do our best to recycle all glass, metal, cans(can crusher), plastic, paper(shredded on to compost), batteries(council depot) and print cartridges(Oxfam)
• Source local and Scottish produce where ever we can.
• All jam jars are recycled minimizing glass wastage
• Use natural cleaners, left over lemon, baking soda, vinegar diluted in water
• Micro-fibre cloths, steam cleaner for cleaning.
• Small kettles for guest bedrooms to reduce the amount of electricity used to boil a kettle
• Service boilers regularly
• Use internet based marketing – we print no marketing literature
• As most of our business is via internet and return visitors, we are able to email 95% of our guests with booking confirmations & directions
• Paper for printer is from sustainably managed resources PEFC or recycled
• Low Energy light bulbs
• Walking and Cycling information
• Cycle Storage
• Eco friendly washing up & laundry liquid
• Toilet paper and kitchen towels are from recycled products
• Local and Fair Trade provisions where possible.
• Encourage guests to use Scottish and local produce
• Rechargeable batteries, torches, wind up torches
• Please remember we have a care to look after the environment for the future generations. Help us to help you to help our environment Reduce, Reuse andRe-cycle
• Replaced all windows and doors with double glazed units.
• Curtains all heavy double inter – linings to avoid draughts
• We are proud to say that we are now running our hot water and heating systems for Loaninghead House and self catering cottages using a green energy source
Working in a more sustainable way, reducing our carbon footprint, minimizing our impact on the environment and encouraging our guests to do the same, does not mean we compromise on the comfort or the 4 Star Quality of our accommodation.
Sausages and Bacon from local Butcher Mathieson
Eggs from local farm in Dalkeith
Scottish mushrooms and tomatoes when in season
Scottish Salmon and Kippers